• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Residents of new Punggol BTO flat plagued by 'mountain' of trash dumped at car park

LaksaNews

Myth
SINGAPORE: When Andy Ke moved into his new Build-to-Order (BTO) flat in Punggol early in 2024, he never imagined he would be dealing with a rubbish situation for months to come.

Photos shared by the 41-year-old resident of the Punggol Point Cove estate along Punggol Way showed large cardboard boxes and plastic sheets dumped at a walkway.

When CNA visited the block in question on Wednesday (Jun 12), there were similarly several large cardboard boxes as well as wooden frames left at a basement car park, despite a sign warning that illegal dumping would come with a S$1,000 fine.

Mr Ke, a director at a logistics company, said that from when he first noticed the waste, it took only a month for it to become a "mountain" almost touching the ceiling.

"I (couldn’t) take it any more. I feel that something must be done. Someone must say something about it," said Mr Ke, adding that he was concerned about it being a fire hazard or sparking a rodent infestation.

photo_6291658744387452527_y.jpg

Large empty cardboard boxes, some flattened, disposed at the basement car park of Block 448B Punggol Way on Jun 12, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Natasha Ganesan)
photo_6291658744387452530_y.jpg

Wooden frames dumped at the basement carpark of Block 448B Punggol Way on Jun 12, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Natasha Ganesan)
photo_6291658744387452563_y_0.jpg

A sign discouraging illegal dumping plastered on the wall of the basement car park at Block 448B Punggol Way. (Photo: CNA/Natasha Ganesan)

Other residents also shared with CNA accounts of an elderly man almost slipping as well as a helper struggling to push a wheelchair-bound senior citizen over cardboard items strewn on the floor.

One resident, Mr Andy Goh, said he was walking through the car park with his four-year-old son when he noticed a metal pole sticking out from the pile of disposed items.

Residents also said there was now no place to properly dispose of their bulky items.

A notice from Pasir-Ris Punggol Town Council, which was plastered near the lifts, pointed to green refuse bins "temporarily" placed near the block entrance.

The bins, however, were not there when CNA visited on Wednesday. The spot was also blocked off by metal poles, which were put up about a week ago, according to residents.

Related:​

"ACCUMULATES RAPIDLY"​

Residents told CNA they had approached the block’s building service centre about the matter, but were redirected to Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council instead.

They described having to go back-and-forth between agencies and going to the extent of contacting the area's Member of Parliament, Dr Janil Puthucheary.

The rubbish would get cleared, but start piling up again just a few days later.

Responding to CNA's queries, a spokesperson for Pasir Ris - Punggol Town Council said the basement car park has "yet to be handed over" from the Housing and Development (HDB) for maintenance, as the block was newly constructed.

The spokesperson added that the town council was working closely with HDB to address the situation.

It has deployed workers to help with clearing the "large volume of dumped items, but the debris accumulates rapidly".

The block’s building service centre did not respond to CNA’s queries. CNA has also contacted HDB and Dr Puthucheary for comments.

photo_6291658744387452565_y.jpg

A notice by Pasir-Ris Punggol Town Council on a refuse disposal point at Block 448B Punggol Way. (Photo: CNA/Natasha Ganesan)
photo_6291658744387452536_y.jpg

No green refuse bins at the ESS near Block 448B Punggol Way and the disposal point was also blocked off on Jun 12, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Natasha Ganesan)

Meanwhile, residents remain unsure if the rubbish situation could be attributed to renovation contractors or their neighbours.

Those who spoke to CNA said they have yet to catch anyone in the act.

One resident has taken matters into his own hands by photographing addresses on the disposed items to "keep a record".

But business development manager Jeremy Li, 42, said that as residents, they were fundamentally powerless.

“Even if I witness you throwing something, I can only advise you,” he said.

In any case, he reckons a culprit would simply say: "Before I came, the things were already here. So I just dumped here."

Continue reading...

Back