• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Bodybuilding is 'addictive': Meet the 14-year-old who wants to go professional

LaksaNews

Myth
SINGAPORE: Eat, sleep, gym, repeat – a typical day for 14-year-old Athanasius Lee when he is not in school, working on his dream of becoming a professional bodybuilder one day.

His passion for the sport is evident on Instagram where he documents his bodybuilding journey, drawing more than 600,000 followers on the social media platform.

“Lifting and content creation are my only hobbies … my whole life (revolves) around the gym,” said the Secondary 3 student from Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road).

Athanasius, or Athy, was 12 years old when he began weightlifting at home, inspired by young bodybuilding influencers like Jesse James West from the United States.

“It looked like they’re having fun and I wanted to try it out," Athy told CNA.

“I remembered the first time I lifted weights; it went on for four hours, just watching YouTube while doing bicep curls,” he recounted with glee.

It's something his parents are supportive of.

Athy struggles with dyslexia. His training routine has made him more disciplined and given him newfound confidence, said Mr Gladwin Lee and Mrs Rachel Lee.

During his interview with CNA, Athy seemed shy and reserved. But once he hit the weights and posed for the camera, he showed a different side to himself - a confidence that is evident on Instagram.

The teen influencer fills his page @athylifts with videos of himself doing bodybuilding poses and eating, aiming for a new viral reel every day.

Content creation started as a hobby. He never expected to amass so many followers.

“I was surprised as I thought I would only get 500 followers in years,” he admitted.

athy_01.jpg

Athanasius Lee executing a lat pulldown. (Photo: CNA/Marcus Mark Ramos)

MORE MALE TEENS HITTING THE GYM​

Athy is among a growing trend of male teenagers hitting the gym in Singapore. Interest in bodybuilding has also risen.

According to data from the National Sport Participation Survey, participation in weightlifting and bodybuilding among male teenagers aged 13 to 19 was at 8 per cent in 2023.

This was up from 5 per cent in 2020, SportsSG said in response to CNA’s queries.

Overall participation in weightlifting and bodybuilding as a sport remained at 4 per cent from 2020 to 2023.

Among male teenagers aged 13 to 19, there was a 39 per cent increase in visits to public gyms run by ActiveSG, between 2022 and 2023.

Social media influence could be a factor driving more male teenagers to the gym and weight training, said Mr Adrian Tan, Athy’s personal coach.

He said teenagers are now more aware of the benefits of weight training, in terms of enhancing their performance in sports, fostering discipline, as well as improving their physical appearance.

“Social media definitely plays a big part in terms of how people want to look and how they want to present themselves,” he added.

athy_02.jpg

Athanasius Lee with his coach Mr Adrian Tan at a gym. (Photo: CNA/Marcus Mark Ramos)

“ADDICTIVE”​

Mr Tan, a two-time national bodybuilding champion, explained that bodybuilding is about weight training and sculpting the body to achieve a desired shape, focusing on symmetry, proportions and definition.

To do this, bodybuilders also need to pay strict attention to nutrition and have ample rest.

Athy follows a training regimen set by Mr Tan, with each workout lasting about one to one-and-a-half hours.

He trains every day except on Sundays, balancing his routine with schoolwork, co-curricular activities and family commitments.

According to Athy and his coach, the bodybuilding regimen for teens is similar to that of adults, with some adjustments to reduce the weights used.

Teenagers don’t have as much muscle mass as adults, so they should not train “too heavy” to avoid injury, Mr Tan explained.

athy_07.jpg

Athanasius Lee doing a bodybuilding pose in front of a mirror in his home. (Photo: CNA/Marcus Mark Ramos)

While some may find bodybuilding daunting, the 14-year-old considers it “therapeutic”.

In fact, it has become “addictive” as he sees the physical progress he had set out to achieve.

“After a long day in school, I find it helps me to take my stress away," he told CNA.

“I feel a sense of accomplishment when my day isn’t that good, but I still did something good."

Recalling the moment he achieved his desired "V Taper" - an upper body shape - Athy said with a smile: “I just looked in the mirror one day and I was really proud of myself.

"I never thought as a kid (I) would ever get that.”

Related:​

“BULKING” PHASE​

Athy's mother plays a big role in supporting his ambitions.

She plans his daily meals meticulously and looks up information on supplements and protein powder.

As he is currently in a “bulking” phase to build more muscle mass, he takes a higher calorie meal that comprises protein and carbohydrates.

For breakfast, he could have low-glycemic bread and turkey ham, or whole-grain wheat cereal and Greek yoghurt. Choices for dinner range from teriyaki salmon with brown rice and broccoli to steamed chicken with rice.

But his favourite meal for bulking is homemade beef bolognese.

Mrs Lee said the family prioritises good nutrition, so their food is typically "clean" and "healthy”.

Sticking to a strict diet plan can, however, be challenging. Athy is not allowed to have too many fast food meals, for instance, as it is considered “dirty bulking”, which Mrs Lee disapproves of.

The teenager also admits he can get “quite sick and tired” of eating larger quantities, especially during extended periods of the bulking phase.

athy_04.jpg

Mrs Rachel Lee plans Athanasius' daily meals meticulously to help him bulk up. (Photo: CNA/Marcus Mark Ramos)

“CONSISTENCY WORKS WONDERS”​

It can be tiring balancing bodybuilding with other commitments as well.

On some days after classes in school, he spends two hours at his CCA track and field, before hitting the gym for about an hour.

At home, he completes his schoolwork and creates content for social media.

Nevertheless, Athy said adhering to his training regime has made him more disciplined.

One big takeaway from bodybuilding: “Consistency works wonders," he said.

“In the first week, I barely saw any progress, but I know that … in 30 days, a lot can change,” he noted, adding that this attitude spills over to other aspects of his life, including school.

Schoolwork has been a challenge for someone with dyslexia, but Athy's foray into bodybuilding has brought him newfound confidence, Mr Lee said.

It has also instilled positive habits and taught him to think more intentionally about his goals, Mr Lee added.

Before Athy started bodybuilding, he never used to plan his day, but he now schedules what he wants to achieve each day, Mr Lee remarked proudly, noting that it is rare for a teenager.

athy_06.jpg

Athanasius Lee doing a pull-up at home. (Photo: CNA/Marcus Mark Ramos)

TOO YOUNG?​

Starting bodybuilding from a young age may have raised eyebrows among some critics, but Athy's coach said the impression that the sport could stunt growth is a "myth".

Bodybuilding uses a “good amount of moderate weight to shape one’s body”, so there is “not a lot of weight pressing down against your body”, Mr Tan said, adding that one’s height is influenced by genetics as well.

This “myth” prevents young people from weightlifting and reaping its benefits, said Athy.

Starting young may also lead to higher risks of injury and poor exercise form, which is why his parents believe guidance is needed before he can train independently.

By the time he ventured out of his home gym, Mrs Lee had already assessed his form and inspected the gym to ensure it was suitable for his training. She encourages him to go with a buddy whom they know and trust.

His parents also actively monitor his social media posts for “concerning” details such as any private information on where they live.

Recognising that her son’s passion is unconventional, Mrs Lee advises other parents not to be too quick to dismiss their child’s interest and to hold a “safe space” for them.

“I think it’s important to journey with them, even if you do not know much about it, but we can always do our research,” she said.

His parents also recognise the risks of his large social media presence, given that he is still a minor. They do not want him to define himself by his bodybuilding success or what others say about him.

“Our purpose of encouraging Athy in bodybuilding is to give him a chance to discover his own potential, to see how this can be used to encourage other people, not just himself.”

He needs to “learn how to use his influence in a positive way”, Mr Lee said.

athy_08.jpg

Mr Gladwin Lee and Athanasius Lee looking at photos they took on a phone. (Photo: CNA/Marcus Mark Ramos)

As teenagers, they also have to learn the valuable lesson of not comparing themselves with others because everyone is unique and has “different genetics”, coach Tan said.

“(It’s) doing the best for what you can do for yourself … That’s the only way you’re going to fulfil your potential.”

And in bodybuilding where many chase after “appearances”, Mr Lee believes it is not what is on the outside that counts.

"People look at appearances, but I think we must learn to look at the heart," he said.

Also read:​

Continue reading...

Back