• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Commentary: What a school principal wants parents to know about the leap from preschool to P1

LaksaNews

Myth
SINGAPORE: When my son started his primary school journey as a Primary 1 (P1) student years ago, he could not read and write as well as his classmates.

In the first semester, when he did not know how to complete his schoolwork, he stuffed his worksheets under his table in class. One day, he told me, “Mummy, I think I’m dumb.”

The Ministry of Education (MOE) announced on Thursday (May 16) that the Primary 1 registration exercise for admission to schools in 2025 will start on Jul 2.

The transition to primary school often stirs anxieties. Will my child be able to make friends? Will they know how to buy food from the canteen? How will they cope with the P1 curriculum?

As a mother and primary school principal, here's my perspective on easing this transition for our youngsters.

THERE’S NO NEED TO CRAM FOR P1​

The transition from kindergarten to primary school can be very daunting for children. There is so much to get used to - waking up earlier, new classmates, more teachers and a much bigger school. Even the toilet is much further away.

It is natural for parents to want to ensure their children are well-prepared for the transition to P1. We have seen parents enrol their children in enrichment classes, in the hopes that it will boost their children’s readiness for school. However, this can backfire if not approached thoughtfully.

Young children can pick up our expectations and emotional cues. If we are anxious, they will feel anxious too. They can sense our high expectations and will feel bad about themselves if they struggle to meet them.

Over-preparing a child academically can also be counter-productive. If a child comes to school having already learnt the material to be covered in the classroom, they may become bored in class and lose interest in learning.

For example, one of our students had completed assessment books well ahead of what teachers were teaching, leaving little time for play at home. Consequently, during lessons, he would walk around the classroom, looking for objects to play with.

Another was so stressed by the homework from his enrichment lessons that he hid in school one morning to complete his assignments, instead of attending class.

What is more important than academic preparation is helping your child to be ready emotionally and socially for P1. An emotionally secure and happy child will learn well, be able to make friends and adjust better to a new environment.

MAKING NEW FRIENDS IN SCHOOL​

A common worry among parents is that their child will not be able to make friends in a new environment.

You can teach your child how to make new friends by engaging in role play - “Hello, my name is John. What is your name?”

Related:​

If your child has difficulties making friends, do speak to the form teacher about it during the P1 orientation or the first day of school, so that the teacher may provide the necessary support and guidance.

Primary schools will conduct class bonding activities in the first week of school. These activities provide opportunities for students to get to know their classmates.

In our school, if a teacher notices that a child is very shy and struggles to make friends, the teacher will pair the child with classmates seated nearby. The teacher may also try matching the child with other students or encourage classmates to approach the child. The teacher will involve the child in class activities and affirm the child.

DEVELOPING INDEPENDENCE​

We can teach our children to be aware of their feelings and know when and how to seek help. If your child feels anxious, empathise with them and acknowledge their emotions. Let your child know that they can approach the teacher for help.

If your child has separation anxiety, you can rehearse a drop-off routine with them. For example, you can walk with your child to the school gate on a weekend, give your child a hug, say goodbye and remind your child of the pick-up arrangement.

If your child is worried about buying food in the canteen, you can role play this with your child using money and provide opportunities for them to practise paying for things at the supermarket or hawker centre.

We can develop our children’s good habits to ready them for school. Managing the use of their electronic devices, having a bedtime routine and ensuring that they get adequate sleep will help them to feel happy and alert in school, which is conducive for their learning.

We can teach our children how to pack their school bag according to the timetable and do it together with them. This will help them to locate their learning materials easily in school and they will feel less anxious.

We can also help them to learn how to stay focused on tasks in school by doing fun activities at home that require them to pay attention and follow instructions, e.g., baking, card/board games and puzzles.

Tell your child it is okay to make mistakes and that mistakes help us to learn. Parents can role play a few challenging situations - what your child can say or do, and how to manage their emotions, for example when they forget to bring materials needed for class.

HOW PARENTS CAN FURTHER SUPPORT THEIR CHILD​

What we say and do as parents can shape our children’s attitude towards learning.

Instead of asking, “Did you get all your answers in the worksheet correct?”, try asking “What was something interesting you learnt today? What questions did you ask? What ideas did you share with the class?”

Set aside time to read English and Mother Tongue Language books with your child or use picture books to interact with your child.

Support your child’s interests and their efforts to explore their interests further. If you do not know the answers to your child’s questions, say, “let’s learn and find out together.” You and your child can look up websites together, go on a field trip or borrow books from the library to find out more.

To build a child’s positive attitude towards learning and challenges, it is important to spend time developing their perseverance. You can challenge your child to try different things beyond their comfort zone and provide support only when necessary, instead of jumping in too quickly to help when they struggle.

It is also important to celebrate your child’s efforts, and not just their achievements. This will help your child stay motivated to keep working at a task to complete it, instead of giving up easily.

BE THERE FOR YOUR CHILD​

An acronym that I use with parents in my school is BEAM: Believe in your child, Encourage and Affirm your child, and Make time for your child.

Your child may initially take more time to adjust to primary school. Try not to compare your child with others or be too quick to react if your child is not doing so well in some areas. Instead, discuss with your child’s teachers how to better support and encourage them.

When my son struggled initially in P1, I did not send him for tuition or make him do more worksheets. His form teacher and I worked together to build his confidence. We praised his effort and progress. We encouraged his curiosity and continued to nurture his interest in reading. In the second semester, his reading and writing began to come together for him.

As a parent and principal, I embrace a holistic perspective when it comes to the development of a child. Children thrive when they understand that their value isn't tethered to grades or accolades but from their individuality and unique qualities.

Mrs Constance Loke is Principal at Zhenghua Primary School.

Continue reading...

Back