• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Of missed milestones and multiple gap years: A Singaporean sailor returns to the Olympics wiser and faster

LaksaNews

Myth
SINGAPORE: Life as a top athlete is often itinerant.

Over the past few years, Ryan Lo has been back home for no more than two months at a time. Along the way, the 27-year-old sailor has missed out on major milestones, taken multiple gap years and lived out of suitcases.

Dreams, you see, require dedication.

"This year was my first Chinese New Year (back home) in four, five years," he told CNA in an interview last week.

"It was quite a shock for me because some nephews or nieces I had not seen in some time ... Now they are almost as tall or taller than me."

Now older, wiser and faster, the 27-year-old is readying up for a second Olympic Games campaign. While Lo wants to fight for the medals, it is now about more than just that for Asia's highest-ranked ILCA7 sailor.

"What I'm trying to focus on right now is to let my sailing bring joy to myself, but I also hope that my sailing can bring joy to others as well," said Lo, who is 10th in the world rankings.

CONFIDENT WHEN IN THE LEAD​

Lo picked up sailing at the age of seven. By the time he was in Primary 4, he was already representing Singapore in overseas competitions in the Optimist class, where a smaller sailing dinghy is used by children.

His sister Man Yi, who won gold in the Laser Radial event at the 2005 SEA Games, and Lo’s half-brother Jun Hao, who took silver at the 2007 SEA Games, served as inspiration that Lo could one day compete at the top level.

As a 13-year-old, Lo clinched bronze for Singapore at the 2010 Asian Games. Eight years later, he claimed another Asiad bronze, this time in the laser event (now ILCA7).

The Singaporean made his Olympics debut at the COVID-postponed Tokyo Games in 2021 where he finished 21st out of 35 sailors.

Related:​

But things are different now.

"The biggest change I would say (is that) I've gotten faster. I take a lot of pride in the work that I've done with my coach and the team of sports scientists," said Lo.

The Singaporean believes that he has matured as well. And one sign of that growth is learning not to be hard on himself.

Lo is also more confident when leading races.

"In the past, I wouldn't say I was scared to win. But when I was in winning positions, I would not be able to seal the deal so comfortably," he added.

"Now, I'm in a position where I'm comfortable winning races and that's a huge weapon for me."

And these improvements came together beautifully for the Singaporean at the Asian Games last year. The gold meant that Lo secured an Olympic quota spot for Singapore, which guarantees that an athlete from Singapore - in this case Lo himself - would compete in the event at the Games.

"It definitely gave me a lot of confidence and assurance that I was on the right track," said Lo. "It also showed me that there were quite a lot of areas which I needed to further work on and improve which we did address in this last few months."

EVERY DAY IS DIFFERENT​

While most sports at the Olympics will be contested in France's capital city of Paris, the sailing competition will be held off the coast of Marseille.

These are familiar waters for Lo, having competed there a number of times, most recently at a Olympics test event there last year where he finished 12th.

"The race is not over until you cross the finish line, in Marseille especially," said Lo. "There are always opportunities for you to come back from a bad position."

ryanlo.jpeg

Ryan Lo poses after winning Singapore's second gold of the Asian Games. (Photo: SportSG/Jeremy Lee)

While he thrives when the winds are light, Lo also enjoys competing a mix of conditions out on the water, and this could be an advantage for him.

"Every day is different, some days can be light winds, some days can be strong winds, some can be very shifty," he said. "I like to always be (challenged) ... I think that suits me quite well."

With the clock ticking down to the Olympics, it will be about fine-tuning details before the competition begins. The Singaporean will be training in Marseille until the Games begins.

"We are all as a team quite happy with where we are at. Just looking forward to brushing up on certain ... minor technical and tactical things ... in the next two-and-a-half months," said Lo.

His Olympic goal is to be among the pack fighting for the medals. To do that, Lo will need to finish in the top 10 and qualify for the medal race.

"It's a fleet stacked with really good sailors. I believe anybody in the top 15, top 20 in the world can get a medal in the Olympics," said Lo. "I'm going there with an open mind, knowing that I stand a chance, but so do 15 other guys.

"I'm just going to go there, do my own thing and embrace the challenge."

In Tokyo, Kimberly Lim and Cecilia Low became the Singaporean sailors to qualify for a medal race at the Games. The duo eventually finished 10th overall in the women's 49er FX event.

"That was definitely a statement to show that Singapore sailing definitely has the potential to compete and be among the best in the world," said Lo of his compatriots' achievement.

While the Singaporean enrolled in Erasmus University after the last Olympics, he took two years off after his first year of studies to train full-time. In total, he has taken five gap years, Lo said.

"I'm always travelling and never really in one place, I've grown to be quite accustomed to be on the move and never really to be in one place," said Lo, whose choice of university in the Netherlands was also to allow him to compete on the European circuit.

"But after a while, it takes a toll to not have some time to just chill and be rooted in one place. Time away from friends and family has definitely been one of the sacrifices I've had to make."

ryan_3.jpeg

This will be Lo's second Olympics. (Photo: CNA/Matthew Mohan)

But Lo also recognises that this is what he needs to do.

"(In) every athletes' career, at least for the individual sports, there is bound to be a time where you need to do your own thing because that will help you in your performance, even though you don't want to do it," he said.

As the interview ended, I asked Lo how much longer he will be in Singapore for, having been back about two weeks.

"I fly to Marseille tomorrow."

Continue reading...

Back